I guess I'm actually injured

Have you ever seen the movie, "The Program"?

The Coach is asking a player who was just hit pretty hard and on the ground struggling to get up...
"Are you injured or are you hurt?" 
The player offers only a quizzical look in response. 
The coach then states in a cool demeanor: 
"Well, if you're injured, I cannot let you go back in, but if you are hurt you can play."

I've been hurting for a while now. Actually, the more I think about it, I've been in some sort of discomfort for over a month. But yesterday I finally went to the doctor.

Have I mentioned that I HATE going to the doctor? It's borderline fear for some reason. I'm terrified that they will tell me I can't do something. 

This time I was terrified that I was going to need to take time out... of karate, work, life, whatever. I just didn't want to miss anything. 

I was at the point that even sleeping hurt. I woke up anytime I moved and it was difficult to put weight down onto my right foot because of the pain in my back. I was still doing the MMA fitness and Kenpo and I had stopped running. It wasn't getting better. 

I was stretching, using the foam roller, taking advil, avoiding excessive training and it was still getting worse. So after 2 adjustments at the chiropractor and a 1hr massage that almost resulted in me being stuck on the table, I decided I should probably get checked out. 

I walked in told the doctor my whole story...

"So it's been bothering me for a while. The pain was originally in the Quadratus Lumborum, then my glutes were tight. I started foam rolling and remembered that my IT band and hip flexors have always been issue."

She was listening intently. 

I continued...
"So then it moved to the lumbar and sacral regions and this weekend I was having a burning pain in my thigh".

The funny thing is, I've been doing the tests myself. The nerve tension tests, the whole, when does it hurt? Comparing my range of motion. If I was one of my athletes, I would have been seen WEEKS ago. 

Instead, I waited until now. The first day of school and I wasn't missing any time. 

She somehow managed to talk me into filling all of the recommended prescriptions... 4 of them actually! 

I said I wasn't going to take the valium unless it was night time. Yup, that lasted a full 7hrs of sunshine. I also said i wasn't going to take the Tramadol, which is a pain reliever. Took that this morning after not being able to stand up straight upon waking. I had to take the prednisone 6times today too. 

I'm absolutely exhausted but can't wait to finally SLEEP!!! I'm almost completely painfree for the first time in over a month and I'm taking advantage of it to rest. 

Hoping to be back to karate soon. If everything is good and this is just a muscular thing, I will be set to start low impact stuff in like 2wks. Otherwise, I need to get an MRI. Fingers crossed!!!

Comments

Popular Posts