Healthy Stuffed Peppers

It's funny that I am writing about making stuffed peppers because prior to weight watchers, I wouldn't touch a pepper. Actually, I wouldn't even try a recipe with a pepper in it!! My aunt makes a lasagna that is supposed to be really good. Never tried it! lol

Well, I have been seriously pushing myself beyond my comfort zone with veggies and I've found that I like a lot of the ones that I've always "hated". I remember hating spinach, asparagus, peppers, mushrooms, brussel sprouts, oh, and eggplant! HATED THEM!! lol... now they are regulars in my meals, and my shopping list. Amazing, isn't it??

So this recipe comes from the same magazine as the Oven Baked Apple Pancakes that I posted a few weeks ago...

Mexican Beef and Bean Stuffed Peppers... mmm mmm mmm. I know, they sound awful for you, don't they?! Well, the recipe makes 8 servings, which is half a pepper and an 1/8th of the mixture and it's only 170 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated) and 9g fiber!! I have to say, that is pretty damn good, even if you end up eating a whole pepper!

Mexican Beef and Bean Stuffed Peppers
1 1/2 cups Fiber One (original cereal)
4 medium bell peppers - I will be using orange!
1 can (15oz) tomato puree
1/2 lb extra lean beef (90% ff)
1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can chopped green chilies, undrained
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese

1. Heat oven 350 degrees. Crush cereal in baggy with a rolling pin or in a food processor. In a medium bowl mix the cereal and tomato puree, let stand about 5 minutes
2. Cut bell peppers lengthwise, in half. Remove seeds and membranes. Place peppers, cut side up, in ungreased 13x9 inch baking dish (I will be using my PC stoneware!!)
3. In skillet, cook beef and onion, over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in cereal mixture and remaining ingredients, except cheese. Divide beef mixture evenly among peppers.
4. Cover; bake 40-45 minutes or until peppers are tender. Sprinkle each with 1 1/2 tsp cheese, let stand for 5 minutes!

Notes: I season my beef with salt and pepper while browning to give it a little more flavor in the end. Also, if you can't get the peppers it stay upright you can use the PC fluted pan, or even an upside down muffin tin! Just make sure to put a sheet pan under to catch the drippings!

I hope you enjoy! I can't wait to make these!!

Comments

Popular Posts