Hubby and I at a Pirate Party :)
It's been quite a while since I've blogged and I figured that I need to get back to it. So many things have changed!! Most for the better... some for the ugh... heavier!

Anyway, I am struggling to recommit to a healthier lifestyle and I remember that it was a little easier when I wasn't doing it alone. So, if you are at all interested in following along with my journey, then keep reading. Here we go...

I just finished up the 4th academic year as a Physical Education Instructor at a local high school. I am also the indoor and outdoor throwing coach for the track team. I have to admit that I LOVE the change in careers, but since I started, I've gained almost 40lbs. I actually have only gained about 30lb since the job change, but I had started struggling a bit before.

In these past few years, I had my gall bladder removed and then suffered from a severely herniated disc that required surgery. Those issues were resolved, but after 2yrs, I was still having joint pain, extreme fatigue, sleep issues,stomach issues, headaches and mood swings. Aren't you glad you didn't live with me? My poor family.

I had the doctor's test me twice for thyroid issues, and I was about to get tested for lyme disease, when I began talking to a friend and she mentioned the possibility of it being a gluten sensitivity. How the hell could I be sensitive to gluten?? I LOVE gluten... bread, cakes, gravies, stuffing, omg... no way!! But I figured what the hell. It's worth a try and seriously, that's not going to be the issue. Right! Right?!?

After 2 days I was wide awake in the middle of the day! Holy Crap!! By less than a week, I was able to bend over and tie my shoes before going to work without being in pretty considerable pain. It was incredible. Joint pain was almost completely gone, bloating was gone, I felt alert, I had a sex drive (sorry... tmi), but everyone was telling me it was all in my head.

I started to feel self-conscious. Is it hurting anyone else? I felt like it was helping me. It has been 9months and I can say that whenever I have gluten, I can tell you. I am thankful that I can use the same toaster, that I can order fries at the pub, and thankfully, I can pick off the croutons. This shows that I am not Celiac and therefore, will not be tested, but I know what makes my body feel better and screw you if you are offended.

I have a goal this summer to start tracking what I am eating and start moving more again. I miss lifting. I used to be pretty buff! I used to be pretty proud of my fitness level. I am supposed to be a role model and I feel like I am letting my students and athletes down. I am creating a plan and hoping to jump in soon. My mind doesn't feel totally ready, but I will be taking baby steps over the next few weeks to get it going.  

So, there it is. I'm back. Hello again :)



Comments

Popular Posts