Spooky 5K - complete!

So I finished the 5K with Jenny... it was awesome because I didn't walk! It was also a big bummer because I actually ran the same time that I had run previously when I was doing the walk/run thing. Then again, the walk/run thing wasn't as fulfilling... I felt like a slacker. So now I need to work on my endurance and speed. Not too much to ask, right??

My husband thinks I'm funny for even trying to say that I "trained" for this 5K. He keeps telling me, "You didn't train... you ran like 3 times before you ran the race". Well, that shows how much he knows... I ran like 3 times more than I had prior to any other 5K!! :P

It's all good... I'm still looking to the bigger picture. The half marathon that I want to do in March. Let me be honest when I say that I am scared to DEATH! I've told soo many people hoping to motivate myself... or scare myself into doing it, and truthfully, I'm not sure if I can finish it. Don't get me wrong... I am going to try with every ounce of my being to complete this task, just so that I don't look (and feel) like a quitter. BUT - I think that I might have set myself up for a failure.

Which actually is going to bring me off topic for a minute...

Last night, some of my friends and I got together for our little book club meeting and the idea of failure not being such a bad thing came up. The idea that "Failing" is just a learning experience. I'm trying to grasp this concept, because I know thats what I tell my kids. I know the little song on one of those kids channels... "practice makes progress". I know in my head that if you set out to do something and then miss; doesn't necessarily mean that you "failed", but that you just haven't succeed - YET.

In my hypothetical world. In my mommy world. Heck, even in my career, that's what I say to people. That's what I use to motivate, but I don't know if I completely believe it. I don't deal well with failure... or missing the mark. If I think back through my life (jobs, school, relationships) the things that stick out are the mistakes... and I gotta be honest, I don't see them as learning experiences. I feel like Earl... I need to make a list and start apologizing.

Anyway, so now I am trying to tell myself that even if I don't "run" the whole 5K... I just have to not walk off the course. Then, I will have at least succeed to finish. I need a goal that I can attain! This week's goal will be to run 4 miles. Not today though. Today I will be working out on the elliptical because I'm tired! and sore...

So, on the other side of this life style change was the weight loss, right!? Here's a recipe for Creamy Tomato Basil Soup (quick style)

1 Tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic - pressed or minced
4 cans Tomato condensed soup
1 cup fat free half and half
2 cups water
1 1/4 cups fresh basil chopped fine
1 tsp black pepper
1- 1 1/2 oz manchango cheese - finely grated (sharp cheddar, provolone... cheese with backbone)
salt to taste

Add olive oil to hot pan and reduce heat to med-low. Add garlic and stir til brown. Add the soup, cream, water, pepper and some salt. Up the heat to med-high and bring to a boil while stirring, to prevent burning. Grate in the cheese and add the basil. Simmer on low for 15mins. Taste to check seasonings. Enjoy with some bread, wine, and awesome friends! Makes plenty :)

Comments

Popular Posts