New England Weather... it's getting chilly

I don't know about you, but when it gets cold, I don't mind staying in the kitchen as much. We don't have air conditioning, of any kind, in our house, so it tends to get really warm when I cook. When the weather starts to get chilly, the warmth of the oven is comforting and welcoming.

I had a plan for my week, but I've been feeling not myself lately, so I decided to keep it simple. I started with my overnight oats, as usual. This time, however, I used gala apples, fresh blueberries and frozen dark cherries... so yummy!! I chop the apples and put them into a pot with a splash of water and throw some cinnamon on top. Then, I cook them until they just start to get soft. I like the crunch in the jars, but a raw apple is a little too hard. This is perfect for the season!

Then I moved on to some of my comfort foods... Philly Cheese Steak Stuffed Peppers and Chicken Cordon Blue Skillet. I also cooked up my dozen and a half hard boiled eggs. These are my saviour for breakfast, lunch and snacks. I typically eat the egg whites and toss the yolks, but they are awesome. Chef Hubby seasoned up a whole chicken and we cooked it in the Pro XL Air Fryer at 400degrees for 45minutes. We also had some Chili leftover from Saturday since I don't know how to make a small batch. Here are some of the recipes...

Philly Cheese Steak Stuffed Peppers - 8 servings

21oz package of Steak-ums - finely diced
2 sweet onions - finely diced
16oz mushrooms - thinly sliced
1 Tbsp butter
2 wedges laughing cow cheese
1/4 cup light mayo
4oz part skim mozzarella in the mix
2oz part skim mozzarella to top them
4 Bell Peppers - halved and cleaned



Saute the onion in butter, remove from the pan and place in medium bowl.
Add the mushrooms and cook till browned. Season with salt and pepper for taste.
Remove the mushrooms, add them to the bowl with the onions and toss the steak into the pan. I had to do 2 shifts of the steak so that it would brown. I drained the drippings between batches.
Add the steak to the bowl with the onions and mushrooms.
Add the laughing cow cheese to the hot mixture and mix to melt it.
Add the mayonnaise and 4oz of shredded cheese.
Scoop the fillings into the peppers.
Distribute the remaining cheese, evenly.
Cook at 375 degrees for 15mins.

**They might be a little crunchy, but I heat them in the microwave for work, so they are perfect. If you want to eat them now, cook them for 20mins.

Chicken Cordon Bleu Skillet Meal
4 servings

I first made this recipe using Campbell Soup Condensed Chicken Soup. It was so yummy, but when I switched to the gluten-free lifestyle due to dietary issues, I could no longer eat it and to be honest, I missed it. So I played around and this is what I came up with...

1 lb Chicken breast - diced
10oz Extra lean ham steak - diced
6-8 wedges Laughing Cow cheese
1/2 cup fat free chicken stock
1/2 cup fat free half-and-half
1/2 cup part skim mozzarella cheese
Season with Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Salt and Pepper to taste

Spray the pan with cooking spray and when it's hot, Heat the ham and then toss in the chicken and cook until golden. Add the laughing cow cheese and melt it completely before adding the chicken stock and cream. Add the mozzarella. Season as you like.

** I have made this recipe with gouda, Swiss, cheddar, parmesan... whatever we've had, and it always tastes great! Don't be afraid to play a little. Enjoy!!

Comments

Popular Posts